Office of Multicultural Affairs

Top 10 Questions on Financial Aid & Scholarships

1) Do I qualify for in-state tuition? 

Prior to the federal government's DACA program, the state of Kansas passed a residency law in 2004 that allows undocumented immigrants to pay in-state tuition if they qualify by meeting specific requirements. Click here to see if you qualify under the Kansas law KS 76-731a. 

If you qualify, this application and affidavit must be submitted each semester to the Office of the University Registrar within 30 days of the first day of the semester.  The application includes an 'affidavit' meaning a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation to be used as evidence, and must also be signed by a notary public.  If you have questions about tuition assessment contact Joy Grisafe-Gross (Assistant Director, University Registrar) in the Registrar's Office at or 785-864-5128.

2) What kind of funding do I qualify for?

Scholarships, such as private and college scholarships, are the main source of financial aid for undocumented and DACAmented students.  However, undocumented and DACAmented students are NOT eligible for federal and state-based financial aid. This includes federal Pell-grants, federal loans, work-study, as well as Kansas Board of Regents Scholarships as they require student to complete the FAFSA (which requires U.S. citizenship or permanent residence). In some states, like California or Texas, they have separate state-based funding programs for these students. Kansas still requires U.S. citizenship to be eligible for all Kansas Board of Regents scholarships and grants, so we cannot award any state-based or federal funding to Undocumented or DACAmented students.​

3) Am I eligible for Scholarships? 

Undocumented and DACAmented students who graduate from a U.S. high school and meet academic criteria are eligible for KU’s Incoming Freshman and Transfer student renewable scholarships. As long as they are able to file the domestic application for admission and meet KU’s scholarship deadlines, they will automatically be awarded a scholarship based on the transparent scholarship grid. These scholarships are renewable as long as the student maintains the renewal criteria (3.25 GPA and 30 KU hours completed per year). Visit the link above for details about these scholarships. Please note that the Pell Advantage can only go to US citizens, because of the FAFSA requirement. An excellent list of scholarships is this GoogleDrive link, where the final column indicates whether citizenship is required, so take advantage of this awesome resource!  You are also eligible for the KU Multicultural Scholars Program.  Click this button for details:

4) Are there any KU Scholarships for Kansas Residents only?

Yes, there are three scholarships that you can learn about here:

Hixson Opportunity Award
J.L. Cleland Scholarship
KU Jerry Bailey Scholarship

5) Are there private scholarships to which I may apply?

The KU Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships receives scholarship opportunities from outside donors on a weekly basis.  At any point in time we have between 200 and 350 scholarships for students to look through and filter based on their interests, majors, etc. So, visit this link and start applying today!  ​ 

6) Can I apply for work-study?

No, unfortunately, work-study requires a FAFSA.

7) Are there any State Department of Education resources to help me learn more?

Yes, here are a few national resource guides published by State Department of Education (2015):

8) Are there any scholarship resources on a national level that I can search?

Yes, here are some websites to help you find more scholarships. 

Fastweb Resources
Fin Aid
Career info
Dreamers Road Map
My Documented Life
United We Dream
Maldef Scholarships

9) What will my tuition and fees cost?

Tuition assessment is based upon student level, residency status, curriculum/college and total number of hours enrolled for the term. Visit the affordability costs website for additional information and an estimate of one semester’s tuition and fees, and don't forget to include course fees.

10) Can I get a loan?

KU Endowment will lend to DACA students BUT they are only eligible for a $1,000 short-term loan that must be repaid within a year, and they would need a co-signer. At this point in time KU Endowment will not lend to an undocumented student who does not have DACA. Please visit this KU Endowment website to learn more about student loans. 

Private lenders are sometimes willing to lend to Undocumented or DACAmented students based on credit or cosigner criteria. If you look at this attached private lender sheet, you will see a list of outside lenders that KU students have borrowed from over the past year. The column to focus on for this student population is “available to international students” as that handful of seven lenders has stated they are willing to lend to non-citizens. It is advised to shop around for private loans, and this informational sheet also gives good advice about good questions to ask as well. In this case, you may also want to focus on what citizenship requirements exist for any cosigner on the loan as well, as that is a common question.  It is very important to contact and speak with each lender to verify these questions before applying for a loan.

DEI Events Calendar
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
KU Today